Monday, April 23, 2007

The 50's are like OVER!!!!

I don’t usually write about race issues. It isn’t that I don’t think they’re important, or that I think racism doesn’t exist, I am acutely aware of it. It is that I don’t feel that I have anything insightful or compelling to say about the subject.

Until now.

For the first time ever, the Turner County High School prom will be integrated.

I don’t know if I should be happy for these kids or appalled by what this means. It is 2007. I mean are you freaking kidding me? 60 years after Baseball is integrated, this Georgia town finally has a school dance that allows people of different pigments to co-mingle?

I choose to be appalled.

First of all, why were these kids allowed, year after year to have their own private segregated prom? Who was financing it? These parents are disgusting. The apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree you know. Is it any wonder that racism can thrive still in the South, when this kind of practice is allowed to thrive? Where was the school board, hell, where was the Governor?

I was going to say fuck these backward ass Rednecks, but that would make me as intolerant as them.

So instead I will say, fuck the people in a position to stop this who let it go on year after year after year.

And to this year’s prom attendee’s I say welcome to PostBellum America Hicks.

No comments: