Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Marriage Jumps The Shark

According to a report in the New York Times, there are more women in America living without a husband than with one. This should not be surprising considering the varied reasons the report gives for this phenomenon.

What is never mentioned in the article is the specter of gay marriage. How many of those women without husbands are lesbians and would marry their partners if it were legal? I am sure in a few days the fundies will be all over this report, citing it as evidence of America's spiral into wantonness, idolatry, and gun control. I seriously doubt they will worry about the inability of a significant number of Americans to marry the person of their choice.

As for me, I am a firm believer in marriage (for all who desire it). I am single by circumstance, not by choice. I think marriage adds an added level of commitment into a relationship that living together will never cover.

I found the comments section particularly interesting. Mark Klien, MD seems to consider marriage an avenue for housework and sex. He never mentions love, commitment, companionship.
Couldn’t imagine being married again. It’s heaven on earth for older been there, done that single guys who can cook, have the resources to hire cleaning/laundry help and have lots of interests. Sex nowadays is a drug on the market.

I guess it’s a good thing for some woman that he’s not married.

No comments: