Friday, January 19, 2007

Because Carlyle is so easy to read....

I found this post over at Mimi Smartypants to be quite humorous (bolds mine) -
Check out #2. What did I say? What did I say, oh odd little British Lit professor of my junior year, whose face haunted my dreams from the day I realized that it would look exactly the same upside down? I believe the poem under discussion was "The Kraken," and I believe I freaked out mid-lecture and started Holding Forth (an unfortunate habit at the time), and I believe the phrase I used was "a C+ poem at best." And you looked at me with your upside-down (or right-side-up???!!???) face and we never really trusted each other after that.

Also, my all-consuming Tennyson hatred that semester inspired my boyfriend to regularly climb out onto the roof of his apartment and declaim Alfred's tepid verses to me as I took the "walk of fame" back to my place. That should have been my first clue, but did I listen? No. Reader, I married him.

No comments: