Thursday, April 10, 2008

Poetry Isn't Hard . . .

Do you like Haiku?

It is relaxing to write.

Please write one for me.

Five-seven-five.

It’s almost that simple.

Technically, a haiku should have a suggestion of nature, and perhaps a reference to the season in which it was written, but those constricts have mostly been done away with in English versions.

The acknowledged master of traditional Japanese haiku was Basho. National Geographic Magazine did an excellent article on his life and his Journeys which I would direct you to read, rather than trying to do it justice on this page. When I read the article, I was struck by how serene his life and his work seemed. I have since read as many of his poems as I can, but I can’t help but think that I will never appreciate his mastery without learning his language. As that seems unlikely at this point, translations will have to do.

Translating Poetry must be among the most difficult of tasks. For what is poetry, if not meter, and rhythm, and sometimes rhyme? To get the essence, the feeling of the original into another language must take the utmost skill, and mostly I think - the passion for the art and the language.

To understand the difficulty, go to this page. There is an original Haiku by Basho, and 30, that’s right 30 different translations. Which one is the most accurate? I know which one I like best. How about you? I Like this one:

The old pond is still
a frog leaps right into it
splashing the water

Perhaps I like that one best because in my mind, the 5-7-5 must hold, but it just seems to capture the feeling right. Who knows?

I have recently been reading a new translation of Beowulf, and it is such a beautiful poem. Not at all the way I remember reading it before.

So, back to my little Haiku at the top:

Do you like Haiku?

It is relaxing to write.

Please write one for me.

Please, today, include a haiku in your comments. If possible, make it about this blog in some way. It doesn’t matter how. It could be about a particular post, about me, about a commenter, about our little community here in this corner of the tubes. It can be about one of the pictures to the right. Just 5-7-5, that’s all.

Have a great day!

24 comments:

Camera Obscura said...

A dad on the coast
Engineering for fuck-wits.
Which way to the beach?

Brave Sir Robin said...

Excellent effort Camera!!!!!

I love it.

GourmetGoddess said...

Today, more showers.
Tomorrow, rain yet again.
This rain drowns flowers.


There, a rhyming haiku...

Bitty said...

Ooh! A challenge! Which I will take up when I have two minutes to bang together.

Bitty said...

Three haiku for you, because I couldn't decide on punctuation:

http://bittysbackporch.blogspot.com/2008/04/haiku-challenge.html

Spring Haiku 1:

Spring brings a soft breeze
A backyard of red flowers
Yard work, endless, joy.

Spring Haiku 2:

Spring brings a soft breeze
A backyard of red flowers
Yard work, endless. Joy.

Spring Haiku 3:

Spring brings a soft breeze
A backyard of red flowers
Yard work. Endless joy.

I'll get to the "all about you" haiku. Tomorrow, perhaps. Do you know about FIBs?

http://bittysbackporch.blogspot.com/2006/04/bittys-first-fib-poem-brooke-and-katie.html

GourmetGoddess said...

Bitty is having a happy spring. Dammit.

We are having flooding from rain today. I won't even look in my basement. I am sure it is awful.

pidomon said...

i have no skills dude
but random typing may do
but who really knows

(do I pass? I suck at this)

Brave Sir Robin said...

Great Job Pido!!!!

Bitty - FIB's?

btw -

I like #3

Heather, sorry about the rain. It is gross humid and hot here.

Bitty said...

BSR, re: fibs. I linked to an old post of mine in the comments and then in my post is a link to an explanation. But when I have time, today or tomorrow, I'll do a fresh post on fibs and write a few. Or one. They also call for a very strict number of syllables in each line.

Gourmet Goddess: I almost feel guilty, but not quite. I'll suffer later, in the heat of July and August, if that helps.

J. Goff said...

I found a flat rock
That was perfect for skipping,
But, alas, no creek.

Brave Sir Robin said...

J.Goff -

Very, very nice.

Christina said...

Brave Sir Robin rides away
coconuts ring, all in hand
so to fight again

Christina said...

Damn! Delete the "away" in that. I counted "Robin" as one syllable.

Bob said...

The Season is here
Rejuvenation has come
For Heart and Nature

Christina said...

I'm of Irish stock. Haiku doesn't come naturally to me. How about a limerick?

There once was a woman from Texas
Who thought that the internets were the bestest,
Friends and blogs, trolls and pron,
And pictures of a red-shoed Pope Festus.

t said...

do you remember
her easy breezy beauty
i miss her kisses

Brave Sir Robin said...

Excellent everyone!!!

Wasn't that fun? I hope so.

konagod said...

pidomon haiku
leaving me empty inside
must try one myself

Brave Sir Robin said...

The Kona is IN the building!!

版主支持你 said...

圣诞树 小本创业
小投资
条码打印机 证卡打印机
证卡打印机 证卡机
标签打印机 吊牌打印机
探究实验室 小学科学探究实验室
探究实验 数字探究实验室
数字化实验室 投影仪
投影机 北京搬家
北京搬家公司 搬家
搬家公司 北京搬家
北京搬家公司 月嫂
育儿嫂 月嫂
育婴师 育儿嫂
婚纱 礼服

婚纱摄影 儿童摄影
圣诞树 胶带
牛皮纸胶带 封箱胶带
高温胶带 铝箔胶带
泡棉胶带 警示胶带
耐高温胶带 特价机票查询
机票 订机票
国内机票 国际机票
电子机票 折扣机票
打折机票 电子机票
特价机票 特价国际机票
留学生机票 机票预订
机票预定 国际机票预订
国际机票预定 国内机票预定
国内机票预订 北京特价机票
北京机票 机票查询
北京打折机票 国际机票查询
机票价格查询 国内机票查询
留学生机票查询 国际机票查询

happyboy said...

北京国际机票预定中心,为您提出供,国际机票,特价机票,欢迎垂询!
北京国际机票预定中心,为您提出供,国际机票,特价机票,欢迎垂询!

北京飞龙搬家公司,是北京搬家行业中值得信赖的北京搬家公司,工作细心、服务周到,欢迎有搬家的朋友们致是垂询!

北京佳佳乐月嫂服务中心,为您提供月嫂,育儿嫂,育婴师服务,本中心月嫂,育儿嫂,育婴师均经过严格培训,执证上岗!

北京婚纱摄影工作室,个性的婚纱,礼服设计,一流的婚纱,礼服设计人才,国际流行风格婚纱礼服的设计理念以及个性婚纱摄影的强力整合;力争成为中国最大的婚纱礼服定做机构!

北京圣诞树专卖中心,可来样加工各种大型超高圣诞树,松针圣诞树,大型圣诞树,欢迎前来圣诞树厂家咨询订购!

小本创业,大学生创业,如何创业呢?如何选择创业项目?要看投资大小,选择小投资高回报的项目才是最关键的!

北京市搬家公司,是<北京搬家行业中值得信赖的北京搬家公司,工作细心,服务周到,欢迎有搬家的朋友!

投影机作为一种演示工具,已经得到广泛的运用,如何选购投影机?如何选购投影仪?如何买到最低价格的投影机?如何在网上销售投影机,中国投影机网将为您提供参考!

上海大众搬场公司,成立于1998年,是成立较早的上海搬家公司之一.是专门从事上海搬家,运输、服务业的民营企业.上海搬场公司.是上海市规模较大的上海搬家公司。

中关村在线打印机频道,是国内打印机产品最权威的资讯平台,为您提供及时的条码打印机,证卡打印机新闻资讯,最新的打印机报价,全国各地的打印机厂商,强大的打印机论坛互动平台。

上海热基机电,专业生产打标机,气动打标机,激光打标机的厂家,性能质量稳定;性价比高.

科诺华麦修斯世界知名喷码机制造商,连续11年产销量国内居首.国际技术,国内价格,打造喷码机全线精品。

IT168报价中心为您提供各类扫描仪产品的最新报价,囊括了扫描仪的导购,图片,评论,评测,大全等信息,是扫描仪产品的权威数据库。

IT168报价中心为您提供液晶电视,液晶显示器最新报价,囊括了液晶电视参数,评测,图片,评论等信息,是液晶电视产品的权威数据库。

星云科技,诚信教育,公司主营,语言学习系统,语言实验室,数字探究实验室,探究实验室,探究实验,欢迎广大院校前来洽谈.

sexy said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,A片,A片,A片,A片,A片,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,a片,情趣用品

A片,A片,AV女優,色情,成人,做愛,情色,AIO,視訊聊天室,SEX,聊天室,自拍,AV,情色,成人,情色,aio,sex,成人,情色

免費A片,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛

情色文學,色情A片,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,言情小說,愛情小說,AV片,A漫,AVDVD,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,成人交友,成人電影,成人貼圖,成人小說,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人遊戲,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色小說,成人論壇


視訊聊天室,聊天室,視訊,,情色視訊,視訊交友,視訊交友90739,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,UT聊天室,聊天室,美女視訊,視訊交友網,豆豆聊天室,A片,尋夢園聊天室,色情聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,一夜情聊天室,情色聊天室,080中部人聊天室,080聊天室,美女交友,辣妹視訊

said...

A片,A片,成人網站,成人影片,色情,情色網,情色,AV,AV女優,成人影城,成人,色情A片,日本AV,免費成人影片,成人影片,SEX,免費A片,A片下載,免費A片下載,做愛,情色A片,色情影片,H漫,A漫,18成人

a片,色情影片,情色電影,a片,色情,情色網,情色,av,av女優,成人影城,成人,色情a片,日本av,免費成人影片,成人影片,情色a片,sex,免費a片,a片下載,免費a片下載,成人網站,做愛,自拍

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣

A片,A片,A片下載,做愛,成人電影,.18成人,日本A片,情色小說,情色電影,成人影城,自拍,情色論壇,成人論壇,情色貼圖,情色,免費A片,成人,成人網站,成人圖片,AV女優,成人光碟,色情,色情影片,免費A片下載,SEX,AV,色情網站,本土自拍,性愛,成人影片,情色文學,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人貼圖

情色,AV女優,UT聊天室,聊天室,A片,視訊聊天室


UT聊天室,視訊聊天室,辣妹視訊,視訊辣妹,情色視訊,視訊,080視訊聊天室,視訊交友90739,美女視訊,視訊美女,免費視訊聊天室,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊聊天,視訊交友網,視訊交友,情人視訊網,成人視訊,哈啦聊天室,UT聊天室,豆豆聊天室,
聊天室,聊天,色情聊天室,色情,尋夢園聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,柔情聊天網,小高聊天室,上班族聊天室,080中部人聊天室,中部人聊天室,成人聊天室,成人

eda said...

角色扮演|跳蛋|情趣跳蛋|煙火批發|煙火|情趣用品|SM|
按摩棒|電動按摩棒|飛機杯|自慰套|自慰套|情趣內衣|
live119|live119論壇|
潤滑液|內衣|性感內衣|自慰器|
充氣娃娃|AV|情趣|衣蝶|

G點|性感丁字褲|吊帶襪|丁字褲|無線跳蛋|性感睡衣|