Saturday, June 9, 2007

Buffy Fest 2007


All Buffy, all the time.

Summer is a little difficult here at the castle. The kids split time between me and their mother, in two-week stints. We are just wrapping up week one of “my time”.

We have a bit of a tradition here in the summer. We start every summer with a “Buffy Fest”. We own all seven seasons on DVD, and we watch them all, pretty much straight through until we are done. Along the way we mix in a bit of the Buffy board game. (BTW – If you run across a copy of this game somewhere, buy it! It is fun, well thought out and clever.)


Anyway, I haven’t watched a significant amount of Buffy since last year’s Buffy-Fest. I am always struck by the excellence of the writing, the breadth of the story-arcs, and the superb character development.

For those of you who never watched Buffy, or dismissed it as “one of those vampire/sci-fi/teen shows, well, I’m sorry for you. Truly, I am. Joss Whedon did so many things right with this show it is hard to know where to begin. He obviously was interested in strong women, and I don’t mean physically. He also understood the dynamics of high School, the intricate balance needed to be yourself while trying to fit in.

It would take a year of posts to detail all of the great things about that series, but I think one of the most important things he did was to let his characters grow up. He recognized that a sophomore wasn’t the same as a junior, or a senior. The characters grow and we were all along for the ride.

What a ride it was.

You owe it to your self to run out and buy or rent the first two seasons. Watch them in order. If you aren’t hooked, you don’t have a soul.

If we could live without passion maybe we'd know some kind of peace... but we would be hollow... Empty rooms shuttered and dank. Without passion we'd be truly dead.

Joss Whedon

12 comments:

Anne said...

I'm a Buffy convert. The suitor sat me down and had me watch pretty much the whole series, and after years of dismissing it I have to say that I quite enjoy it. Joss Whedon rocks. Such a shame that Firefly was cancelled.

Brave Sir Robin said...

Such a shame that Firefly was canceled

So true!! You could just see him setting up the long term multi season story arcs that worked so well in Buffy.

sigh.

Camera Obscura said...

I had a wee Firefly / Serenity - fest myself this weekend. I finally cracked open the last of the TV series DVDs and watched the extras, and then the same after the movie, which has been on the cable enough that I hadn't ever watched my own copy.

I do love that Joss lets his characters grow, whether over years or just weeks. And the language -- whether it's the snark on Buffy or the delightful cadence of Mal's speeches, the shows are a joy to listen to.

And I'm kinda fond of ol' Joss hissownself, too: a fanboy making shows for other fanboys and -girls.

Brave Sir Robin said...

And I'm kinda fond of ol' Joss hissownself, too: a fanboy making shows for other fanboys and -girls.

Yes! That's the thing. He gets us, because he is one of us.

I never thought about it that way.

:)

What did you decide on the end table?

Camera Obscura said...

Yes! That's the thing. He gets us, because he is one of us.

I never thought about it that way.


Watch the "extras" on the Firefly and Serenity DVDs; it's sooooo obvious, especially when he talks about going to ComicCon in San Diego the year between the TV series' cancellation and the release of the movie.

What did you decide on the end table?

I spent 8 hours stripping, sanding, and cleaning (acetone, basically) that damn particle-board table. Oh, and I tore up my back in the process. I have to go get a new dropcloth and a tack cloth before I can get back to work on it. If the primer bubbles on it after all that work, I'm gonna go Incredible Hulk on its little pressboard heiney. Camera Smash!

Brave Sir Robin said...

$50.00 is sounding pretty cheap huh?

Camera Obscura said...

Hush, or I'll mail you the pieces COD. (grin)

Speaking of mailing stuff, do you have any idea where I could get the equivalent of a 2.5 ft.-across pizza box? I need to mail a hoop (it's the ring from Daughter's "mosquito net".)

Brave Sir Robin said...

I would think most mailbox/UPS type store would have one. That is a bit large though. Do you have a pizza place close that has 30" pizzas? Just go ask them for one.

Otherwise, build one out of a regular box. Just tape it up real good with duct tape or such. The hoop shouldn't be that fragile, so as long as the box doesn't come apart you should be good.

celticfeminist said...

OMG. That has to be one of the best ideas I've ever heard. I think I might have to emulate you on this one.

YAY! BUFFY!

I actually have been sporadically re-watching all of the seasons this year. I just started Season 5, which is one of my favorites. Glory is probably my favorite big bad.

Brave Sir Robin said...

The game only goes through season 4, but the kids got online, and found a site that completes it through season 7.

Someone with a great love of Buffy and mad Photoshop skills created actual playing pieces to print out and all.

My oldest son loves the Glory scenario.

She was rather attractive as Buffy baddies go. Not that I'm shallow or anything.

:)

Anonymous said...

Buffy is kick in and that boy in the red is cute

歐陽丹 said...

i know this post is older, but i can't say enough glowing things about buffy, or anything that joss whedon, self proclaimed feminist, has had a hand in, including 'roseanne'. i am going to hunt down that board game. my Kid loves buffy, and firefly. we will cuddle up for hours when i am sick or such, and just veg away. i catch a lot of crap for it from her father's family, so it is really encouraging to see another parent get it, as i did!

thanks!