Friday, June 22, 2007

Don't Even Think About It

Yes, I am a Liberal!! Proudly, unabashedly Liberal. I believe it is the Government's responsibility to protect its citizens from the ravages of capitalism run amok.

I abhor the two party system, because our "winner take all" system has damn near destroyed our constitution. I am extremely disappointed in the Democrats. Make no mistake, they were given a mandate last November and they have not followed the wishes of the majority that put them there. I would cherish the opportunity to have a viable third (or fourth and fifth) party.

All of that being said. I am vehemently opposed to this; Ralph Nader may be running again. He has no chance of winning, he knows this, yet his narcissistic urges won't let him stay out. This is disappointing. Here is a man with true progressive credentials, yet he is poised to hand the Republicans yet another election by siphoning off the far left base.

Yes, our Government is a pathetic bunch of corporate whores on both sides of the aisle, but anyone who believes there is no difference between the parties isn't paying attention. The Republican majority has infiltrated every single branch of our Government, every level of bureaucracy, every function of every department has been gutted and sold to the highest bidder. Our justice department and the courts have become another arm of the party apparatus. Stalinist tactics to be sure. Party above all else .... except corporate profits.

Make no mistake, a vote for Nader (or Bloomberg) is a vote for Republican dominance for another 8 years and the final destruction of our constitution.

It's a crying shame Nader can't work within the system. Yes, the system is broken, but its what we have. I am a pragmatist. What will make America better? Voting "green" because of principle, or keeping Republicans out of office? For me, that's an easy choice. I have four kids. I want them to live in an America that defends its constitution.

Don't run Ralph, save what little is left of your legacy.

9 comments:

Camera Obscura said...

Ralph's like that one Bennett sister who hogs the piano at parties in Pride and Prejudice. He was fine for a bit (when he had a message and a reason for being) but now he's just annoying everyone and keeping the really good people from performing.

Brave Sir Robin said...

Nicely said!

The Red Queen said...

Very well said- and Nader is a bit like Mary Bennett. It's become patently obvious that Nader is in it for vanity rather than good intentions. Hello- all of us with ovaries know there is one very marked difference between donkeys and elephants and are the paying the price for the idiots that said otherwise.

PS- what's with the personalized shirts guy?

Brave Sir Robin said...

?????

Spam I guess.

The Red Queen said...

Spam sucks- but putting the verification word up really helps reduce it.

Brave Sir Robin said...

Spam sucks- but putting the verification word up really helps reduce it.

I know .... but I really hate those things. Especially when I am somewhat less than sober.

(Which of course is when I am most likely to comment)

:)

The Red Queen said...

Ah yes- but admins don't have to deal with the verification words on their own site(thank you new blogger!) So you can drunkenly post to your own comments without having to read twisted letter and numbers.

celticfeminist said...

I've been thinking about this post since I read it a few days ago. I think I need a more articulate brain to really sift through the thoughts. Because I'm torn ... I hate our two party system because it is so limiting and it is so broken. I think having more than two parties is a vital step in fixing this country.

Which leads me to thinking that the only way we can make a viable change away from two parties is to give the people a chance to vote on whomever they want - give equal time and media focus to the non-major parties that want to run. Then we have a chance of changing things. To encourage anyone who wants to run against the system because they will inevitably lose and fuck things up is to uphold the very system that needs changing.

On the other hand, with things are the way they are, with the fact that a few thousand votes can tip the balance of power one way or the other, I think we're duty bound to get the Republicans out of office. In that vein, the only realistic hope is vote Democratic and shut out the independents because they will negatively affect the scale.

So, in short, I'm torn. The idealist in me says everyone who wants to run should and the voters will sort them out. The realist/pragmatist in me realizes that having someone like Nader run will only tip the scale toward the Republicans once again.

Then again, idealism is the only thing that really affects change.

Then again, change is only possible with money, since with money comes legitimate exposure and equal coverage. And even now, it's not like the Dems get equal coverage from the MSM, let alone a third (or fourth or fifth) party.

So. I don't know. I just know the system we have is broken and it desperately needs to be fixed. How it can be fixed, I don't know.

Like I said, I need a more articulate brain.

Brave Sir Robin said...

You just said it better than I did. That is exactly what I was trying to convey in my post.

This country needs at least a couple of other choices on a regular basis. If congress had to form "ruling coalitions" with third and fourth parties there wouldn't be such a winner take all attitude.

That being said, all you have to do is look at the Supreme Court this week to know that now is not the time for that. Another 4 or 8 years of Republican rule might truly be the end of our republic. This court had a "results based" ruling every time. The know how they want it to end up, and twist the law and logic to make it happen.

This week two "free speech" rulings used totally opposite logic to rule the conservatives way.

It is vital that they don't win. If they get one or two nominations, it will take a generation to hope for any reform.