Thursday, June 28, 2007

Fuck! I Need A Drink


I had a shitty, shitty day.

It started out bad.

I was tired, I stayed up way past my bedtime to watch a movie, then I went home and had to watch The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. (Thank you DVR) As a result, I was dog ass tired this morning.

The movie was excellent, but it really put me in a "damn I miss Rene', maybe we could have worked things out mood." (But that's another post.)

Then at work, all hell broke loose today.

Let me explain.

I work for a relatively small Engineering company. I have one client that is pretty much mine alone. When i don't have anything to do for that client, I fill in on smaller jobs for other clients.

I turned in (to my main client) the project from hell about three weeks ago.

Done.

Or so I thought.

Long story short - Let's do the front end loading that we should have done in January today.

Today. Three weeks after I closed the job out. the client wants to rethink basic design decisions that should have been decided before I ever received a scope.

Of course, at this point the client doesn't understand that this is outside the scope of the original job and will cost more.

Add to that, I picked up a couple of jobs for another client this week, thinking I was finished with that project.

By the end of next week, I have to deliver three projects and I will be out of the office Monday and Wednesday. That means Thursday will suck.

On top of that, the ex called today and wants to keep the kids until Thursday. (I was supposed to get them Sunday). I didn't have a compelling reason to tell her no, other than that now, my holiday is fucked up. So, I have to drive for four fucking hours Thursday after work, and still be in the office Friday morning.

I am going to have that drink now.

I wanted a Manhattan, but I'm out of Maker's Mark.

Scotch it is.

10 comments:

GourmetGoddess said...

If it makes you feel any better, the city turned off my water on Wednesday, during our 95 degree temps, because my lawyer forgot to submit a form to the city during closing. I'll tell you more later, but what a disgusting day!

Brave Sir Robin said...

What?!!!!

Damn, that is awful. Is it back on yet?

No, it doesn't make me feel better, you're way too nice to invoke Schadenfreude. :)

I hope it gets better.

GourmetGoddess said...

Yeah, they turned it back on Thursday after I first threw myself on the mercy of the city clerk, resubmitted the form, and then threw a hissy fit as they were supposed to give me at least 48 hours notice before doing the switch-off and didn't. And you can be sure that I will deal with the lawyer later.

Bad thing was that I lost a whole morning of work, and I am too busy right now to do that. I have a major NSF grant heading out the door (a 3-university collaborative) and I am finishing up a grantwriting planning for a funky out of the box project another faculty wants to do that is outside of his field of expertise. Ugh.

Brave Sir Robin said...

Too bad we're not all independently wealthy huh?

GourmetGoddess said...

I so just want to win the lottery and go live somewhere where I can do whatever the hell I want when I want to and not have to work. I mean, I like to keep busy and all but sometimes I miss the days of grocery-store clerking......

The Red Queen said...

I would happily whore myself out to either of you with my fab assistant skills. I am currently stuck in the hell that is summer temp work until fall quarter starts at the end of September.

Since my kiddo is off for his month annual month o' fun and spoilage in Atlanta, I am finding cheap ways to turn myself into a functional alcoholic.

Brave Sir Robin said...

When my kids are gone for the summer visit with Mom, my alcohol intake jumps way up.

The Red Queen said...

I know- it's the only time of the year when i can party on school nights. Hello vodka!

GourmetGoddess said...

Sadly, I am allergic to alcohol. A major problem in a chef :( It also curtails my social life to am amazing extent.....

Anne said...

Ugh!!! Just saw this when I got back from a long weekend. Hope the projects go at least relatively smoothly... good luck!!