Sunday, November 18, 2007

Improvised Muffins Of Overwhelming Deliciousness

Today is #2 son’s 15th birthday.

This of course, calls for something more than cold cereal or scrambled eggs (which he is not overly fond of anyway) for breakfast.

Problem is, today is my first day off since the cruise. Before that, it had been 18 days since I had a day off. Bottom line, I haven’t done any serious grocery shopping in almost a month.

Hmmmm.

A look through the pantry yielded oatmeal and flour. The Fridge held orange juice, milk, eggs, and some store bought cooked apples.

I found a recipe for oatmeal muffins online and I changed a few things, tweaked it a bit, and tada! Muffins!

Really good muffins, not overly sweet, very tender, but with an interesting bit of chewiness from the oats.

Orange Glazed Oat Muffins

Muffins

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour + 3 tablespoons

1 cup old fashion oats

2/3 cup sugar

2 teaspoons baking powder

½ teaspoon baking soda

¼ teaspoon salt

1/16 teaspoon ginger

1/16 teaspoon allspice

1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

2/3 cups orange juice

½ cup 2% milk

1 jumbo egg

¼ cup melted butter

½ cup chopped, cooked apples in sauce.


Glaze

¼ cup orange juice

1 teaspoon sugar

1 tablespoon melted butter

More sugar for sprinkling



Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Prepare muffin pan by spraying the bottom only with cooking spray

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.

In a separate bowl, beat the egg well.

Add other liquid ingredients including apples, mix well.

Pour on top of dry ingredients all at once, stir until just combined.

Bake 16 min at 400 degrees.

Remove from oven and brush tops with glaze mixture until all glaze is absorbed.

Sprinkle tops with sugar.

Cool in pan for 5 minutes, remove muffins and place on plate.

Enjoy warm.


10 comments:

The Red Queen said...

Happy birthday to the second oldest monkey!

And since you are familiar with teenage boys and I have an almost teenage boy, I have a question.

At what point do they stop stinking like teenage boy? I didn't mind the little boy smell (little boys all smell a bit like wet dog) but the teenage boy funk is more than I can take.

Anne said...

Happy birthday to #2 son!

Those muffins look yummy. If I weren't neck-deep in thesis and Thanksgiving preparations, I'd make them this week!

Brave Sir Robin said...

RQ - About 13 to 14. Be prepared.


Off topic - How are you doing? I meant all day yesterday to go back and leave a note on your site and I never logged on after noon.


Anne - Next time I would up the spice quite a bit. I might also put half of the oats in the blender.

Anne said...

Would quick-cooking oats solve that problem? I had to get some for the rolls I'm making for Thanksgiving dinner, and the smallest container they had was one of those regular-sized canisters (I only need 3-4 tablespoons). So I'm looking for a good use for quick-cooking oats. :)

Brave Sir Robin said...

Anne -

Yes! It almost certainly would solve that problem. You can also blend it into flour and substitute it for some of the regular flour in many recipes. Remember though, it doesn't contain gluten, but then you knew that.

The Red Queen said...

I'm doing better, thanks for asking. I am weaning myself off evil drugs probably faster than recommended, but still weaning. It helped much to realize that the yuckiness I was feeling was not so much my own fucked up brain chemistry as it was the evil pharmaceutical industry's evil plans.

P.S.How may times can I use evil in one blog comment?

Brave Sir Robin said...

Hang in there RQ, it can be done.

Jennifer said...

Those sound excellent. Here's another good muffin recipe for you.

Carrot/Zucchini Muffins, adapted from this recipe.

Combine in large bowl:

Shredded zucchini and/or carrots totaling 2 cups
1/2 C oil
2 eggs
1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups sugar (can be reduced by about half & they’re still good)
1 cup raisins

Sift in:

3 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

Stir everything together, pour into greased or lined muffin pans, bake 15-20 minutes at 350. Makes 24 muffins.

(Note: Keep an eye on your first batch – the original recipe was for loaves, so I had to find my own baking time. I’m at high elevation, so YMMV.)

Brave Sir Robin said...

Jenn -

Sounds yummy. I might just try them this weekend for Sunday morning breakfast.

I'll let you know how they are received.

Jennifer said...

They come out a little different for me every time I make them, but they're always good.

Just try not to leave them in a taxi; that's the whole wrong way to enjoy them.