Tuesday, November 13, 2007

More About The Cruise ......


Ok, I promised a post at lunch. I wish I had time to sit down and write.

The cruise was fine.

The ship was impeccably clean, the staff was attentive, friendly, and efficient, the food was excellent and interesting, the weather was perfect, and the alcohol was plentiful.

So what’s the problem?

My worst fear was that I’d get on the ship and be overwhelmed by a flood of memories and be miserable. I’m happy to report it wasn’t that bad. I did have moments of deeply missing her, mostly during meals and in the late evening. I avoided the places she and I frequented most, and that seemed to help.

I took the attitude that I was there to relax, rest, read, and rejuvenate. I didn’t attend a single show, I didn’t once rush to get somewhere by a certain time, and when I was tired, I slept. That in and of itself is such a vacation from my regular life that it was rejuvenating.

Oddly enough, it was debarking and the long drive home alone that really made me the saddest

Over the next few days, I will try to fill you in on the details.

4 comments:

GourmetGoddess said...

For some reason I thought you were con longer. But welcome back! I am glad you had a relaxing time. Make any new friends?

My long awaited vacation that was to take place next week was mostly cancelled due to the mechanications of the US Department of Education. I am annoyed. I could use a fruity drink, if I could actually drink.

Brave Sir Robin said...

It was only a four day cruise. We sailed on Thursday and came back on Monday.

I have been posting a few pictures on my flickr account, but I haven't had time to label them or sort them etc...

I will try to have them all loaded and labeled by the end of the week, but I am still on 12+ hours a day and now I am 5 days behind!

Sorry about your vacation. What happened?

GourmetGoddess said...

The DoE announced an RFP with a due date of Nov. 26. Yes, the Monday after Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, it is a funding opportunity we have been waiting for and have to go for it. 40 page proposal plus appendices. I have 21 pages of the rough draft done now and hope to be done with the entire draft except for the budget tomorrow. The major problem comes in dealing with the three other readers/writers I have to coordinate in order to knock this thing out.

So, I am aiming to have it submitted next Tuesday and go home on Wednesday - not quite the full week I wanted but oh well....

Anne said...

Glad to have you back, and glad that it wasn't too overwhelming. Looking forward to seeing pictures!