Have you noticed the phenomenon I'll call Ipod patterning?
You set your Ipod on shuffle, which is supposedly random, but the songs seem anything but random?
I while back I posted that my Ipod was conspiring against me because song after song after song was a song about love gone bad, breakups, or one of our songs.
Well, today wasn't like that, but here is my list, first 12 played:
1. Readymade – Red Hot Chili Peppers
2. M-O-N-E-Y (live)– Lyle Lovett
3. The Nearness Of You – Norah Jones
4. Eruption – Van Halen
5. No Woman no Cry - Bob Marley
6. The Refugee – U2
7. Nothing Compares To You – Prince
8. She’s Only 18 – Red Hot Chili Peppers
9. Could You Be Loved – Bob Marley
10. I Shot The Sheriff – Bob Marley
11. Reelin’ In The Years – Steely Dan
12. Redemption Song - Bob Marley
Notice anything strange?
4 Bob Marley Songs and 2 Red Hot Chili peppers.
Ok, I have 1023 songs on my Ipod. 14 of them are by Bob Marley. That's 1.3%* Yet 4 come up in the first 12?
What about the Chili Peppers? I have a few more by them (43), with 5 albums represented, yet both songs came from the same album.
I know mathematicians will tell me I'm just looking for a pattern where none exists, but damn. That doesn't seem very random to me.
Anyone else experience this?
*Update: I screwed up the decimal place in the original post. It is now corrected!
h/t to Camera Obscura.